Leadership roles had come too easy to me.
From being the cell group leader of church, to the Assistant Lead of NCC, to President of the Photography club, Innovation club, Platoon Commander of NDU, Manager of Muffinry Lead of Bicycle Barista & GM of Edible Gardens.
I’ve often wondered why am I put in these positions, when I feel that I:
1. Do not have the technical/subject matter skills to lead the organisation.
2. Am a generally not a confident/loud speaking person – you would think of most leaders.
In a recent interview by World No 1 Rugby Team’s the All Blacks Coach – Graham Henry on his Captain Kirean Read, GH said about Kirean’s Leadership. “To be able to lead such a big team of this significance, one has to be able to first Lead himself pretty well.”
When Interviewed about his Leadership style, Kirean read mentioned
“When leading, you need to be yourself and have very clear values that mirror and portray the way you lead; otherwise you will miss the right path in which to take your team. ” – University of Canterbury
I could then see the links of why I had been chosen for a few reasons such as showing enthusiasm, being consistent, responsible etc.
However, I am not happy with the result of my current leadership status. There are PLENTY more things I want to work on and I am laying them here so that I can be accountable to myself.
It starts by leading myself, and doing the little things well, so I can then do the big things well.
- Timeliness – to be punctual.
- Financially educated – to be able to have systems in place for managing finances
- Prepared – to prepare more – in chef school we call this Mise En Place. 95% of all work is in preparation, and 5% is in execution.
- Merticulous – winging it only gets you this far. The real work is in the details. Errors glare out like a sore thumb.
- Process driven – Every activity ultimately leads to a series of actions, which can be broken down into small steps. No matter what ‘level’ you are at, the better you have these process organised the more prepared you become.
- Self Awareness –
- Self Belief – I often forget that I have done what tens of thousands of others are not willing to do and explore. There is merit in the risk that I have taken and I need to continue feeding this.
Looking forward to improving self!